Ministers have extended the ban on landlords evicting tenants in England and Wales until 20 September, following fears thousands could lose their homes.
In most cases, until the end of March, renters will also get six months’ notice if their landlord plans to evict them.
Courts had been due to resume cases on Monday after a five-month pause.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said the latest announcement just gave “renters a few more weeks to pack their bags”.
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said he was “supporting renters over winter” amid the ongoing effects of the coronavirus outbreak adding that, when the ban was lifted, the most serious cases of anti-social behaviour, other crimes, and unpaid rent for over a year would be heard first.
One landlords’ group described the blanket extension as “unacceptable”.
Before the pandemic, notice of eviction was usually two months. In Wales, that had already been extended to six until the
Continue reading this atricle at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53851945