Direct Provision to be abolished by 2024 under major plans for housing asylum seekers – Irish Mirror

Ireland’s Direct Provision centres – for years the site of international controversy and condemnation – are nearing the end of their existence. The Government has announced that all existing facilities will be replaced by State-owned accommodation by the end of 2024. In a major shift in the way Ireland treats its asylum seekers, those looking

Policy to end Direct Provision revealed – Asylum-seekers will get keys to their own homes and will be able to work –

Asylum-seekers will get the keys to their own accommodation after four months and will be able to work after six months under a new policy to end the Direct Provision system. The changes were announced in a White Paper to End Direct Provision published by Children’s Minister Roderic O’Gorman. They will be phased in over

US property giant gets average rent of €2,126 in Dublin –

US property giant Kennedy Wilson is continuing to reap massive rents for its 2,000 apartments in Dublin, with the units still commanding average monthly prices of $2,599 (€2,126) despite the impact of the pandemic. he company, which also owns the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin, generates significantly more rent on average from its residential properties here

How will a new stamp duty land tax surcharge affect non-UK residents? – Property Week

The 2% surcharge will apply in addition to the existing 3% surcharge for purchases of dwellings by companies, so the total surcharge for overseas companies will be 5%. The good news is that both surcharges do not apply where the purchased property is mixed-use, or more than five dwellings are purchased in a single transaction.

Plan to end direct provision by 2024 would see asylum seekers housed in State accommodation – The Irish Times

The Government is set to end its two-decade long reliance on privately supplied housing and use State-owned accommodation to house asylum seekers, according to a plan to end direct provision. The details are included in a White Paper on ending direct provision, published on Friday by the Department of Children and Equality, which proposes a

Minister O'Gorman publishes the White Paper on Ending Direct Provision –

Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman, T.D., today published a White Paper to End Direct Provision and to Establish a new International Protection Support Service. This White Paper sets out a new Government policy to replace Direct Provision, which will be phased out over the next four years.

Govt to replace direct provision with protection system –

The Government is to replace the direct provision system with an international protection system over the next four years. A new two-phased approach will be set out in a white paper to be published this morning. Under the plans, it is anticipated that all existing direct provision centres will close by the end of 2024.

1000 flats and a hotel to be built in Dublin – The Times

Planning permission has been granted for a large mixed-use development of 1,137 residential units and a hotel in south Dublin. Dublin city council has approved the plan by The O’Flynn group to build 12 apartment blocks ranging from four to ten stories in height across the 17-acre site along the Naas Road. The 1,137 residential

NUIG Student Union supports bill to protect student renters during pandemic – Connacht Tribune Group

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 35 additional deaths related to COVID-19. 21 of these deaths occurred in February, 12 occurred in January, 1 in November, while one further death is under investigation. The median age of those who died was 85 years and the age

USI calls on Oireachtas to pass student accommodation Bill – The Irish Times

The Union of Students (USI) in Ireland has called on the Oireachtas to pass a Bill being tabled on Thursday that would force landlords to return prepaid rents to students who cannot live in the accommodation due to public health restrictions. The Residential Tenancies (Student Rents and Other Protections) (Covid-19) Bill 2021 would also enable